Mathematics develops the Numeracy capabilities that all students need in their personal, work and civic life. Learning Mathematics also creates opportunities and enriches the lives of all Australians. This learning provides the fundamentals upon which mathematical specialties and professional applications are built.
In Mathematics at Warwick Senior High School, students engage in a curriculum that is motivating and suited to their ability, needs and aspirations. Through a wide range of activities, students have the opportunity to develop their mathematical understanding, fluency, logical reasoning, analytical thinking and problem solving skills. These capabilities enable students to respond to both familiar and unfamiliar situations by employing mathematical strategies to make informed decisions and solve problems efficiently.
In Years 7, 8, 9 and 10, Mathematics programs are based on the Western Australian Curriculum and Assessment Outline and are organised into 3 Content Strands;
- Number and Algebra
- Measurement and Geometry
- Statistics and Probability
In all strands, communication skills are important. Processes and results must be neatly and clearly set out, using accepted conventions, so that others can understand them.
In Year 11, the pathway that a student should choose is dependent on their results from lower school. The following pathways may be offered.
- Pathway 1 Mathematics Foundations Units 1 and 2
· Pathway 2 Mathematics Essential Units 1 and 2
· Pathway 3 Mathematics Applications Units 1 and 2
· Pathway 4 Mathematics Methods Units 1 and 2
· Pathway 5 Mathematics Specialist Units 1 and 2
An understanding of the Year 11 content is assumed knowledge for the students in Year 12. It is recommended that students studying Units 3 and 4 have completed Units 1 and 2 in a particular pathway.
· Pathway 1 Mathematics Foundations Units 3 and 4
· Pathway 2 Mathematics Essential Units 3 and 4
· Pathway 3 Mathematics Applications Units 3 and 4
· Pathway 4 Mathematics Methods Units 3 and 4
· Pathway 5 Mathematics Specialist Units 3 and 4